If you look at the data from Netscan, you can get a feel for the
activity within a group, in general. From what I recall, this thread
originated with a discussion about the number of subscribers along
with the number of posts by various people, and an "activity"
percentage. I think the original post even inquired how we can get
more people active (hence "bridge the gap").

I believe that we're not so bad, in comparison to other newsgroups
out there (and there are a lot). I'm bias, though, because I'm quite
happy with this group...even when it goes off topic.  :-)

If you really want to figure out how to get people more active (which
I assume means a higher number of people who post) in this group, at
least from a scientific/sociological approach, you'd probably want to
find the more "active" groups in the Netscan data and try to figure
out what makes them different.

--
joshpaul

On May 10, 2006, at 3:41 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I believe he was querying "newsgroups"
>
> Josh
>

> On May 9, 2006, at 6:49 PM, Ted Tagami wrote:
>
>> I ran a query for groups that contain "videoblog" and ended up with
>> zero matches. What query do you use?
>>
>> On 5/9/06, Joshua Paul < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Okay, if you want to gain some *real* insight to this group, compare
>> it to others. Microsoft has done a lot of research in this area
>> (newsgroups), and the research is freely available. Check it out for
>> yourself, run the numbers, and draw your own conclusions:
>>
>>       http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/
>>
>> Personally, I find this group to be a tremendous asset to the
>> videoblogging community as a whole. People lurk. People post. People
>> flame. It's all normal. Where we fall in the categorization of a
>> group, well, you decide.
>>
>> I post very rarely, and mostly in regard to technical issues that
>> nobody else seems to be chiming in on. It doesn't mean I'm not an
>> active member, I've just found my particular role here (which may
>> change at any time).
>>
>> --
>> joshpaul

Fireant Individual Use