I don't agree with that guy at all... I mean, yeah, it makes sense
for something like wikipedia. But the fact that my videos are -NC is
the very thing that protected me when the corporate media began using
video that I had shot of a protest without my permission to project
their messaging.

Josh

On May 13, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> Hello Chuck,
>
> You may want to check this out also...
>
> Creative Commons -NC Licenses Consider Harmful
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/9/11/16331/0655
>

> See ya
>

> On 5/13/06, Chuck Olsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Check
> out this just-posted interview with Negativland's Mark Hosler:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/fkfrd
>
> He says "You don't get total control" when you put a creative work
> out into the world. If you want total control, keep it in your
> bedroom.
>
> I tend to agree. That's not to say you shouldn't get paid for your
> creative work. But if you put something out into the public
> consciousness, you've already surrendered how that work will
> be perceived, contextualized, and interpreted. Or even
> mentally remixed, you might say.
>
> Our lives are mashups. The whole fucking world is a mashup.
>
> For this reason I'm increasingly against the "No Derivatives" clause
> of Creative Commons licenses. Let me give you an example. I
> was recently depressed about staying up all night doing web
> production for my job. A piece of art by Hugh Macleod *almost*
> represented how I felt. It was a purple scribble that said "We
> can't go on like this." I made it red and changed it to say
> "I can't go on like this" and posted it on my blog:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/l6mx9
>
> While Hugh kindly says I can do whatever I want with his art for
> personal use, his CC license says "No derivatives." Those conflict.
> That license says I can look at his work, and remix it in my head,
> and create a personalized version of it, but I can't show anybody.
> I can't recreate or regurgitate my experience of Hugh's art -
> according to that CC license. Well, I say I can and I do.
>
> This is particularly true in the digital age. Hugh is not losing
> anything
> (especially monetarily) by my personal remix of his art. You can
> say the same of using commercial music and images in your
> videos. If you're not trying to redistribute or profit from another's
> copyrighted work, why NOT include it in your creative palette?
>
> The world around us is our creative palette. We have the right
> to express the world around us, as artists and human beings.
>
> (END RANT)
>

> --
>     Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.
>
>     charles @ reptile.ca
>     supercanadian @ gmail.com
>
>     developer weblog: http://ChangeLog.ca/
> _____
>  Make Television                                 http://
> maketelevision.com/

> Fireant Individual Use
> Explains
>
> YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>
>  Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Don't hate the media, become the media."- Jello Biafra

Fireant Individual Use
Explains