hi Richard,

thanks for the trust, but my main point is (and this is in agreement with many here): look into this yourself.  there are lots of folks saying lots of things and there is a lot of reasonable and silly claims made by all sides.

also, i think there is often a misconception that there is one "net neutrality" bill and indeed one has been proposed with that name.  However, it appears that this is just the beginning of a whole lot of activity around this very general (and recently defined, i might add) concept.

i guess i'm just saying that this is not simply black and white (or good and evil).

markus

Richard (Show) Hall wrote:
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com , Markus Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personally, I don't trust Google, Microsoft, etc. any more or less than
> I don't trust AT&T, Comcast, etc.
>
> Both "sides" present views slanted in their favor.  Both dis-inform and
> mis-inform.
>
> Again, speaking for me, I see little difference in either
> SaveTheInternet and HandsOffTheInternet.

Markus,

For one thing, I trust you, so it gives me pause that you would see it this way. And I mean that sincerely, if Markus thinks this, then maybe I need to study the issue more. As people might notice (or, more accurately not notice) I don't responsd as a rule to any arguments on the list (though I do secretly enjoy them), but this one seems really important to me, and I will totally admit that, like many things, I rely on "experts" I trust because I don't have time/motivation to study things in detail.

But, for this one, even according to the wikipedia you cited, "savetheinternet" is really a grass roots movement with lots of supporters who aren't making big bucks off of the network neutrality legislation, like Larry Lessig and Bob McChesney, two people I tend to believe and trust. Oh yeah, Tim Burners-Lee also came out in support of network neutrality legislation, and I've always thought that there was something fundamentally "good" about a  guy who invented the world wide web, but profitted very little himself. This, of course, has nothing to do with the "facts" surrounding the issue, but all about people I trust - I totally admit that.

(By the way, the wikipidia thing also notes that handsofftheinternet is, indeed, a site supported by corporate interests like google, but not savetheinternet, which, as I understand it, is largely a spin off of the internet freedom foundation, who is not a big supporter of any corporate interests that I can see).

... best regards ... Richard (a truster of Markus :) ...

p.s. thanks a lot for pointing to wikipidia, that is very helpful for studying this issue ... I should have thought of that before

--
Richard
http://www.richardshow.com

Save the Internet - Preserve Network Neutrality!
http://www.savetheinternet.com

Fireant Individual Typepad
Use Explains

Markus Sandy