I like the idea ... but it does concern me somewhat that people could simply claim membership in a group and we'd all just have to live with the fact that they are lying and being listed in that group in the directories out there.

I mean if the system lets me list myself with TWiT.TV: Leo Laporte and Friends ... and Leo has no way of disavowing me ... this is a system Leo Laporte is not going to use.  Nor would many if not most of the channels out there that are trying to brand themselves.  And if those groups wont use the system the masses wont either.

What if in the RSS feed, rather than putting the name of the group you are in, you include a link to the group you are in.  That link could point to a very simple xml file of members that the group owner manages. Something like

<group>
     <name>mygroup</name>
     <description>cool group</description>
     <image/>
     <website>mygroup.com</website>
     <feed>mygroup.com/feed</feed>

     <member type="member|administrator|owner">
        <name></name>
        <website></website>
        <feed></feed>
     </member>
 </group>

Aggregators could then either just acccess/parse that list to see if the rss feed in question is in fact listed there.

--
http://www.DavidMeade.com
feed:   http://www.DavidMeade.com/feed

Fireant Individual Typepad