I think traditionally "market value" is whatever someone will pay for
it. And that is normally determined by a combination of the content
and the viewers — real or potential.

Production costs are another way to look at it.

3 minutes can be really simple or really complex, depending on how
many/much clips/transitions/locations/people/effects/equipment etc. is
used.

The interesting thing here is that there is no consistent or
predictable relationship between production cost and market value.  I
think of production cost as a floor - without getting this met over
time, the show is not sustainable. Ideally, production costs decrease
and market value increases over time. :-)

The third thing that often shows up in delayed fashion is where/how is
the value being distributed? We've had a number of discussions here
about the many VC-backed models that appear to rely on UGC from users
who are doing it on the cheap for the love of it. Psychologically, I
don't think that model is very sustainable.

Rox

--
Roxanne Darling

http://www.beachwalks.tv