Interlineations appear below, Ferd. Thanks for asking the right questions.

Jan

On 11/18/06, Ferd Eggan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jay, thanks for zeroing in on this and posting the video.  I think it
>  raises some important questions.  The following are some examples:

[snip]

> 4. Is this an attack on the freedom of all?  Are middle
>  eastern-looking persons part of "all?"

Evidently, when at war, enemies and anyone related to the enemy group
are separated from humanity. That's wartime strategy. How do we fight
the impulse to profile folks?

 5. What responsibility do I or you or anyone have to people who are
 "other?"  Is the Christian story of the good samaritan relevant?  What
 if the "other" is objectionable somehow, like homeless and smelly, or
 loud and obnoxious, or speaking another language?

That is the challenge, isn't it? To kiss and break bread with the
smelly among us. Why, oh why haven't we put more resources into
alternative energy R & D? Oops. Digression.

 6. If the person who videoed the whole tazing episode was a
 journalist, would that have changed the situation?  Would being an
 "objective" journalist be an ethical position in this case?

I don't think the situation would have changed were the videographer a
journalist, but perhaps the news aftermath might have been different.

Of course objectivity among the press corps is ethical. Journalism has
become confused with opinion and entertainment of late so perhaps
you're missing those elements in this case. It would be refreshing to
have objective reportage in the television news. I think the video of
the incident was totally objective. Do you not see it that way?

 7. Besides showing or viewing the video, what other responses could we
 make?

Blog/vlog it. Get it out there. Google it. Link to sites that report
the news and ongoing discussion and what happens.

Lots of communities are discussing this taser phenom. Perhaps your own
community debates the wisdom of its use. Find out and vlog it.

 8. Would technical skills have helped either the student who was tazed
 or the student who shot the video?

This comment is what caught my eye and imagination. Yes! Yes! Shooting
with a cell phone is its own motion picture animal. Had the
videographer more experience, the footage would have been much better.
Everybody would benefit from learning the in's and out's of shooting
cell phone video.

The student knowing his rights and how to deal effectively with police
would have helped him a lot, no doubt. Saw a video on YouTube from a
group that follows police officers with video cameras. There was a
segment on how to intersect effectively with police when filming. We
need a freevlog-type series on how faux journalists and dissenters can
best use a police encounter to advantage rather than disadvantage.
Will try to find a link to that video again and post it under this
thread.

 9. Is the mission of helping everyone get access to video
 communication enough to prevent police attacks?  If not, what is enough?

I think local police departments have civilian review committees, at
least they do in New York. Get involved. Make sure your local police
understand that a police state is un-American, etc.

 Jay, as you know from our interview, I ask these questions all the
 time.  I do not mean to imply anything about you or Gena or others who
 respond.  I just think the questions are useful for people like us who
 do videoblogging.
 What do you--anyone--think?

 Ferd Eggan
 http://www.ferdeggan.net