I am joining this discussion late (been busy launching a new online
movie download service - more on that later), but here goes...

I understand the need for OurTube, but isn't the whole discussion of
video blog creators "versus" the big business/exploitation of
creative product very relevant to his group?

This discussion has been going on for years in the music (the band
versus the record labels) and the movie (the talent versus the
studios) industries.... we should take some lessons learned from
those industries (both good and bad) and try to achieve something
ourselves.

Whether your concern is financial compensation, protecting your
artistic creation, name recognition, or protecting your privacy -
video bloggers are all subject to exploitation by these entities
unless there is some way to enable the community to "protect"
ourselves.... no suggestions just yet - still processing those
thoughts....

-Frank

http://www.vlogdb.com - Blogging about Video Blogs
http://www.gotkidsnetwork.com - Parenting Social Network

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, sull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> from rox:
>
> Re: Re: [videoblogging] everyone wants you
>
> Yes Jay - I've gotten the emails, one referencing the Vloggies. So
> that is one list apparently being mined.
>
> I am very interested in us continuing this discussion, and yes Ted,
> perhaps a wiki or spinoff makes sense = not everyone is interested
in
> making money.
>
> For those who are, I am feeling like change due - double entendre
intended.

> The people who are aggregating content and setting up servers are
the
> easiest to reach right now - It's one person to deal with for
> potential sponsors and buyers, and it's one place to go to host
movie
> files. So they have the leverage from multiple points of view. Few
of
> these networks are willing to pay for content, they have lawyerly
TOS,
> and we the lovely lemmings alternate between "doing it for the
love of
> it" and feeling somewhat powerless in the face of the enormous grab
> for eyeballs and dollars, I think. (Some exagerration for effect.)
>
> When VC's are funding video hosting sites, they see big returns. I
> want us to slow this train down, and let everyone know that at
least
> some of us, people who are creating original content (not re-
posting
> snippets of tv shows on youtube) are a force to be reckoned with.
Our
> [...]
for
> sponsors to go, to negotiate with us, not just the hosting
networks.
> If any group could come up with some genuinely new thinking on how
> leverage a community for the community's good, this one can. Right?
>
> We can reclaim the concept of "commercial" so it is not a dirty
word
> but in fact becomes part of sustainability for us to keep doing our
> stuff.
>
> Anyone interested?
>

> rox
>
> On 11/18/06, sull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > hey mike.
> >
> > rox was the motivation behind having a focused discussion on some
> > issues.... i will just link to her post and include it here.  I
think the
> > "OurTube" discussions, once they get going, will cover a small
mix of topics
> > associated with taking more control, as video content creators,
of business
> > relationships and necessary services for the furtherance of the
independent
> > internet tv revolution.  does this involve YouTubers who want to
leave and
> > associate their content elsewhere?  Not sure.  That could bleed
into
> > discussions but i dont see it as a core goal.  It doesnt matter
what service
> > you use, where your stuff is hosted etc... but for prolific
video creators
> > who feel that they dont have to totally revolve around and/or
depend on
> > hosting services, ad networks, aggregators etc in order to
achieve certain
> > types of success... OurTube is where to discuss, then, what the
alternative
> > concepts are and can exist (co-exist) in this space.  What comes
out of
> > those discussions remains to be seen.  But anything is possible
in this
> > space at this time.
> >
> > Maybe its taking the hype of the industry and the monetizing
babble and
> > the "frothy" online video phenomena..... and turning it upside
down....
> > yelling HOLD UP!  not getting sucked into old ways on a new
medium....
> > thinking outside the box and grasping what *some* creators are
interested in
> > achieving, collaborating..... Cooperative mentalities.  Because
i think
> > there may be a tiny little ball of truth bouncing around that
sings.... "We
> > Dont Need You and Your Bubble".  Maybe its finding out if that
is true or
> > not.
> >
> > I look forward to some others to chime in over on the group
soon.  As soon
> > as we gather our thoughts and make some time to start
chatting.... it'll
> [...]
> > sponsors to go, to negotiate with us, not just the hosting
networks.
> > If any group could come up with some genuinely new thinking on
how to
> > leverage a community for the community's good, this one can.
Right?

> > We can reclaim the concept of "commercial" so it is not a dirty
word
> > but in fact becomes part of sustainability for us to keep doing
our
> > stuff.
> >
> > Anyone interested?
> >

> > rox
> > ---------------------
> >

> > On 11/18/06, Mike Meiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >   I'm still not fully understanding the concept behind this
ourtube
> > > group, can we discuss it some?
> > >
> > > Is it just an attempt to take the gootube deal as an
opportunity to
> > > draw back some of the youtube users back to the open
vlogosphere as
> > > they become disenfranchised with youtube?
> > >
> > > I've already subscribed, I'm just feeling like I'm missing so
much
> > > information.
> > >
> > > Perhaps a series of good old fashion skypecasts are in order.
Get a
> > > few people together including whomever started this idea and
just have
> > > a discussion.
> > >
> > > How did this discussion originate anyway?
> > >
> > > -Mike
> > > mmeiser.com/blog
> > > mefeedia.com
> > >
> > > On 11/8/06, Adam Quirk <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <bullemhead%
40gmail.com>>

> > > this

> > > the
> > > out

40gmail.com><sulleleven%40gmail.com>>

40gmail.com><okekai%40gmail.com>>

Vloggies.
> > > So

> > > Ted,
> > > interested in

> > > entendre

> > > are the
> > > movie
> > > Few of
> > > lawyerly TOS,
> > > love of
> > > grab
> > > effect.)

> > > least
> > > re-posting
> > > with. Our
> > > loyalty

> > > YouTube, and
of "commercial
> > > media

> > > high
> > > return.Then
> > > run
> > > all of
> > > media.

> > > for
> > > networks.
> > > how to
> > > Right?

> > > word
> > > our

40gmail.com><schlomo%40gmail.com><schlomo%
> > > 40gmail.com>>

> > > Mashery.
Cocktail"

http://HaveMoneyWillVlog.com