>My question is, How do you go about interviewing the
general public
>and approach organizations asking to film for your
vlog?

Recently I participated in the making of a featured
film. In one scene we needed a Japanese older woman to
simply walk down an old arcade. Here is the outcome of
a walk in (approach and ask passers by any age).

Six foot tall foreigner (body builder) with bad
Japanese. No-one wanted to help.

5 foot foreigner with beard (me) with bad Japanese. No
interest.

Handsome young Japanese (lead actor) - no interest.

We learned that for that particular scene we should
have organised an extra instead of the spontaneous
approach.

Next, students here do a lot of interviewing on film
for their video productions. Most of them are friends
or relatives, so no problem.
sometimes they need to interview foreign students on
campus. For this type of interview, I tell the
students to have simple yes/no type questions
memorised and ready, because when a student says "ok,
let's do an interview" they might not want to be taken
away to a little corner, so on the spot is best. Plus
it shows the natural environment.

At the moment students are interviewing various
citizens of the community and with that, I ask the
students to get in contact with the subject and to
give them enough notice to be ready.

With the citizen interview, I tell students that they
must have at least a verbal agreement/permission to
show the videos on vlogs. I am aware that subjects
need to sign a release form (I have one) but that is
going a little far since we try to keep the experience
friendly.

Great Questions,
Sincerely,
Nicolas