--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Deirdre Straughan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> FWIW, I run my website www.beginningwithi.com as a website, because I
> started it that way years ago, and I don't like the lack of navigational
> structure in (default) blog templates.

You can "theme" your blog templates to look however you want.
I agree standard page design is boring.
There is a common nav (dates) for blogs.
Most sites use the same layout...
top-horizontal nav w/ a left-right vertical nav.

> But, since DreamHost offers it as a
> one-click install, I set up a blog
> http://www.beginningwithi.com/comments/purely for comments. When I
> post a new article on the site, I usually create
> a comments page, and link that from the beginning of the web page.

Yeah, DH installed WordPress within a folder of your domain.
Rather than run it under /comments, you could run it under /blog or
the root.

> I did try a third-party comment app similar to the one mentioned
> a year or so back, but it does not embed comments in the page,
> so my own kludge solution is just about as good.

The app mentioned was WordPress and that is what you are using.

It would be much better to use a data-driven app.
WP is a great content management system for blogging.

For example, you have this page running within WordPress...
http://www.beginningwithi.com/comments/2006/09/22/wosa-na-reunion-2006/

But the post body is just a link to your full (HTML) post here...
http://www.beginningwithi.com/Woodstock/wosana2006.html

That HTML post could easily be posted within WordPress.
And the WP design can be the same as on your HTML pages.
Comments would then be inline with the post.
WordPress offers a ton more add-on modules.

How many old HTML posts do you have (quick guess)?

I use Dreamhost too and could help set this up on a sub-domain of yours.
The only issue would be you'd have a lot of copy/pasting to do.

Once the posts are in WordPress (a database),
your blogging process will be easier.

If you are just having template problems,
feel free to email me or post here.

- Matt
http://vlogmap.org