I've been using iMovie.  I just use "Share" "Expert Settings" "iPod",
does this use the H.264 codec?  If not, what codec is used?  I just
rename the .m4v file to .mp4

Using the above solution, my wide screen format comes to around
320x196.  Ryanne recommends using 365 x ... using "Expert Settings"
"Options".