+1 to what Rhett said.

Get an XLR mic like a Shure SM58 and get a cord with male XLR on one end and
male 1/8"
mono jack on the other end.

Another option is to buy a shotgun mic that will sit on top of your camera, but
it depends
on your application.

Third option is wired/wirless Lavalier.  Wireless lav would be the best for
isolating one
person in a crowd, but the most expensive.

--
Bill C.
http://ems.blip.tv