comments below

On 1/4/07, johnleeke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > to discuss these very issues.  It's time for the crowd to recommend
> > solutions.  MyHeavy is now willing to play ball by your rules.  Write
> > the rules.  I'll convey them.
>
> OK, the first rule is:
>
> ****
> If you used content without permission of the owner you have to pay
> the owner's asking price for that use. The first use without
> permission is not excusable. APPLIED RETRO-ACTIVELY, meaning that you
> pay up even though this "rule" was not in place at the time of
> transgression. This rule is to be applied on moral grounds and not
> only on legal grounds. The payments are to be made on the
> transgressor's initiative, meaning that the transgressor must contact
> the owners of the content and ask how much the owner wants for the
> use, and then immediately make that payment.
> ****
>
> For example, my own rate is $1000 for the first instance, and $500 per
> video per any part of a day. They used 11 of my videos and used them
> for at least part of one day, so the total they owe me is $6000. If
> they can afford to buy fancy prizes for cute models, they can afford
> to pay up right away. They can send that $6000 directly to my paypal
> account: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> To speak frankly to the people at MyHeavy: there are no defensible
> moral grounds for taking something that does not belong to you, no
> matter how slight or great the value, your intent, awareness, or
> excuses! Step up to the plate and take responsibility for your
> actions. Whether or not you follow the rule above will be a clear
> indication your character.
>
> John Leeke

I couldn't agree with you more in MyHeavy.com's specific case... but
not all cases are so cut and dry.

There are all sorts of reasons for people to display your videos.

1) Search engines like Technoratti, yahoo video search displays
thumbnails of videos to make the vlog space searchable.

2) bloglines, mefeedia, fireant.tv, vlogdir, and other user centric
"rss aggregators" present videos embeded in page to provide an
pleasurable viewing experience for people who subscribe to your blog.

3) All sorts of software from Democracy, to iTunes, to Fireant, and
many more actually precache and display your videos in a desktop
software to offer again... an enhanced viewing experience so your
friends can keep track up with you.

4) you might want people to cross post your videos to myspace... or
any other blog... it's now pretty common practice and great for
exposure

5) In addition there are all sorts of other communities like Webjay,
and dabble that provice all sorts of opportunities like remixing and
playlist sharing and all sorts of fun stuff.

6) let's not forget all the videoblogging guides and direcotries

I could go on... but just keep in mind that poorly behaving players
like MyHeavy are the exception... not the rule.

One last thing.  The vlogosphere in general is shifting TOWARD liberal
revlogging.  This doesn't mean you have to encourage or participate...
In fact perhaps we should discuss options for opting out.   The reason
the space is moving toward reblogging is because first of all major
sites like youtube have demonstrated how effective it can be at
attracting an audience.  Secondly, business models such as post roll
advertising are springing up that can actually take advantage of
re-vlogging.

Finally some science, when someone revlogs you your viewership can
potentially grow exponentially very fast.

When you vlog you may have 200 daily subscribers... of those 100 may
watch your video.

If even just 2 of those people re-blog your video and post it on their
blog and they each have 200 daily subscribers you've trippled your
viewership right there... and I need not tell you what happens from
there if 2 more people reblog you on each of those blogs.

This is ESPECIALLY apparent with services like delicious... and
digg.com... and thousands of others like them.

The bottom line is re-vlogging is precisely HOW... a video of a
student getting tassered at a library in UCLA... or cell phone video
of Sadam Hussein going to meet his maker travel around the web
virtually instantly to millions and millions of users.

If you vlog heavily and run a fairly popular blog which encourages
revlogging and cross posting to digg and other services sooner or
later one of your videos or blog posts is going to "go viral" or at
the very least you'll get an exponential amount of viewers of the
post.  You see this ALL the time on social networks.  I'm always
amazed on youtube for example with some of the hot videos. A user will
get 1500 average views on a video, and then one day they'll get
400,000 over night.

This is not JUST do to cross-posting and re-blogging. There are other
factors, there's stuff like favoriting... or rating... or bookmarking
that have a similar effect... perhaps someone else can break it
down... but I would say that cross-posting or reblogging on youtube is
probably the biggest factor.

The bottom line is if your videos never leave your blog... they'll
likely only ever be seen by your stalewart subscribers... and there's
absolutely nothing wrong with that. A lot of people vlog only for
their immediate family... their wife... their mom or grandma... it's
all cool.

I'd like to think there was a way to prevent revlogging... if you
don't like revlogging... a) use embeded flash from someone like blip,
and don't link to the downloadable video file... and b) declare a
really restrictive copyright on your vlog.

But ussually getting revlogged is NOT the problem... the problem NOT
getting revlogged at all.

Peace,

-Mike
mefeedia.com