--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If I may suggest.
>
> I am no expert on video encoding techniques, but I would consider
> myself an expert on playback and user experience.  For exmaple I would
> recommend flash playback for in the browser if possible, and MP4 as
> your primary video format for compatibility with the most computers,
> software, and hardware like the iPod, and PSP.
>
> That said I have also recommended in the past and recommend now...
> that if you encode your videos at 320x240 that you present them on
> your blog by embedding them in the page at approximately 375x500
> allowing for considerations due your page layout. Some people have a
> wider main column, and some people have a slightly narrower main
> column.

I agree with your assessment as far as H.264's concerned.  I'm very impressed
with the
scalability of a 320x180 (widescreen) H.264 video all the way to MacBook Pro
full-screen
(1680x1050).  I'm not saying it looks GOOD at that size, but for the size it
starts out, it
does a great job.  Josh may want to just edit his blog entries and increase the
playing size
of his 320x240 videos as you mentioned below.

The problem with doing this vs making videos with larger frame sizes is when
you have
text in your video, like a lower 3rd, or a credit roll.  Blow those up and they
look like
garbage... ESPECIALLY if they're moving.  If that's not an issue for whomever's
posting the
videos, then playing larger than you posted it is a good idea.

> Don't actually encode the videos at an alternative larger size.  It's
> really just a waste of time, server space and bandwidth.

This doesn't make any sense. :)  Frame size has no effect on server space or
bandwidth.
Data Rate is what you're talking about.  You can make videos with larger frame
sizes and
the exact same data rate, and it's all the same to the computer.

> Speaking of which, this reminds me blip.tv even updated their cite
> about a month back to present all videos at 500 pixels... precisely
> what I recommended.
>
> i.e. http://blip.tv/file/122903/
>
> The above example is a video encoded at 320x240 and presented at
> 500x375 as are virtually all the videos on blip.tv.

????? no it isn't.  If you download the source file for that video
(http://blip.tv/file/get/
Bestdamntech-MickipediaPutsTheGeekInChic783.wmv) it's 768x480.  It's also
horribly
compressed in the original source file, so it may actually be 320x240 footage
expanded to
768x480 then contracted to 500x375.

Also, how do the videos on blip become 500x375?  Is that an encoding option?
Does that
happen only if you encode videos @ 320x240?  I haven't seen that on blip's
upload page
OR in their upperblip application.