Damien,

re: getting a sequence to match your clip's properties in FCP5 to
avoid rendering

It's a secret...!  I looked around and dug it up.  It was a tip I saw
from Christine Steele, who is an FCP genius.  You click on the clip
you want, CTRL+Click on it to get the contextual menu and select
"Make Multiclip Sequence", then hit OK.  Then delete the (unwanted)
folder that's created in the browser, rename the new sequence and
open it.  Badabing, you have a sequence that matches your clip, with
no rendering.

Haven't tried it as have FCP4 not 5.  Can only dream.  Could make my
life a lot easier but can't tell whether it will work with funky
stills camera framerates and audio.

Her page and instructions are here:
http://tinyurl.com/y53yz8

It's a cool feature.  But shhh - don't tell anyone.  Apple obviously
don't want anyone to know.  They're weird like that.

Rupert

FatGirlinOhio videoblog (by a thinnish man in London)
http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio