I'd like to add one very simple thing.  This group is whatever its
members make it.  While there are list administrators, they're extremely
hands-off (as I believe they should be) and it's largely been left to
the approximately 2,500 people on this list to manage themselves and
direct the conversation wherever they care to.  If you'd like to see
more discussion of content or technique it is entirely within your power
to provoke that discussion.