I sincerely doubt the charges that end up sticking on these guys will be
all that strong, but the truth of the matter is that they did disrupt the
public, and disrupting the public is a crime.  Yes, the authorities
probably overreacted, but planting strange devices in public places, some
of them depicting what is, by American standards, an obscene gesture, for
the sake of advertising a corporate television show...yeah, that's a
crime.  There's a reason that the public has a process of filing permits
for use of public space, and it's to keep nonsense like this from
happening in the first place.

I mean, if I have to file a permit so that I can use a public beach for my
wedding ceremony...or if I have to file a permit so I can shoot a short on
public land, then it stands to reason that I can't go throwing Lite Brites
around to advertise a product, either.

So, red alert...not necessary...but this was BAD "guerilla marketing", and
it was a public nuisance.

--
Rhett.
http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime