Hi Rupert
your points well made & well taken.
I accept that to some extent I was arguing from the
worms eye position of someone whose main interest is
video on the net or in galleries & whose tastes run to
the lapidary rather than the epic.
Furthermore my position is too close to yours for me
to want to, rather artificially, argue every dot of an
i & cross of a t.
Nevertheless, I think in my original mail was a
slightly broader critique, which does extend, at least
implicitly, to the cases you address. Eventually, what
it comes down to is that those with the money & power
are always going to be able to set the agenda, which
in terms of the commercial cinema means this curious
combination of bizarre oversimplification of any
issue: love, death, war, whatever, together with the
use of fantastically complex & expensive technology to
present this pap as a kind of faux "realism".
I'm sure we will see many folk make & distribute
features on the net, on a tiny budget. I'm sure some
of them will be wonderful and sadly I'm almost equally
sure that, short of a radical reorganisation of
society itself, such work will remain on the margins.
I'm not sure however that I'm entirely unhappy about
being marginal, given what isn't...
best
michael

http://www.jvc.com/press/index.jsp?urlid=MPPress&item=565