Sorry, I don't mean to go on, but there was one other thing that was
quite interesting about the conversation tonight.  It's something
I've seen talked about here a lot before, and understood
instinctively, but never really understood rationally or articulated
before.

At dinner, there was the usual confusion from TV people about "What's
the point?" in reaching a few hundred or thousand people - surely it
was better to be able to reach a few million people like they did
with broadcast TV.  And in explaining it - explaining the connection,
the immediacy, I realised how much more satisfied I have been
producing videos - mostly those I made in 2005 rather than the odd
bits I've shoved up in the last few months - which reached a few
hundred or thousand people and which elicited responses and
connections with people - how much more satisfying that has been than
making the films I made that went out on Channel 4 in the UK and were
watched by 2 million people and had good reviews.  I realised that,
explained it, and the penny really dropped for me - and more
dramatically for the TV people I was talking to - that making
something that's actively watched by just a few, with human contact
from even fewer who didn't have to contact to you but did - is more
satisfying than making something that's passively viewed by a
thousand times as many anonymous strangers.  Not to advertisers, of
course, but to me as a creator.  That's something that's ILLOGICAL to
hard core MSM creatives and management, where the advertisers'
commercial goals have over time merged with their own good intentions
and creative goals - a survival necessity.  It was unsettling for
them, grappling with the idea of not judging success by audience
numbers.  I mean, I didn't really understand this satisfaction
'illogicality' fully until just now, and I *do* it.  At least now I
partly understand why I'm so excited about doing it.  Instead of
thinking that maybe I'm crazy.  And maybe now I'll let myself put up
more films.   Ho hum.