It makes me feel good to hear this.  I often feel like, when I just ask
people to email us or to friend us on MySpace, that I'm screaming into the
void.  I know I have an audience, because FeedBurner stats show the
subscribers.

I also, as far as I can tell, have never grown my audience through word of
mouth from one viewer to the next.  Early stats on Google Analytics show
that most people who visit the website are new users who don't come from a
search engine or directory.  So, we're winning viewers largely by getting
our URL directly in new hands.  This all runs curiously contrary to how I
thought things would go.  Yes...Freetime is still just a toddler of a
vlog, but I somehow expected the viral effect would be in stronger force.

I think part of it's content, too, though.  I've noticed on LiveJournal,
friends of mine with the largest friends list are generally quite
controversial.  They give people something to argue about.  I'm beginning
to wonder if vlogs that don't give people a reason to regularly pound
their keyboards in discussion just don't fan out.  I see similar things
happening in text blogs.

Also, I wonder if the aggregator makes a difference.  A lot of my audience
comes from TV Tonic, and I didn't see ways for people to access comments,
leave reviews, etc, using the TV Tonic software.

--
Rhett.
http://www.weatherlight.com/freetime