Some people might call it destiny or pre-destiny or karma... but I
call it syncronicity... or is it the singularity. :)

The point is there's a certain sort of inevitability... like a chain
reaction when a liquid meats critical mass.

When youg get a whole munch of molecules moving really fast and
they're REALLY well connecteded things just start to happen.

Some people jokingly say "great people thing alike"

It doesn't really matter who was the first to think of it just so long
as it happens.

For example the aha moment for mee in this space was when I left
comments regarding an idea I had for a piece of software that
aggregated video via RSS on Chuck Olsen's blog. I'd been discussing it
with my closed circle of friends for months before I left that
comment. Two weeks later Fireant came out and it was exactly what I'd
described. Certainly some other key members of fireant were also
participating in that discussion, but was fireant the result of my
comment outlining how the software would work?  Absolutely not, would
be silly to think it. It takes more than two weeks to develop a piece
of software most obviously... they'd already been working on it. Come
to find out Josh Kinberg had been working on a protype he called
vipodder for as many as six months prior.

About that same time Kenyatta created an HTMl mockup that would
inspire Peter Van DIjck to create mefeedia.

It's simply a sort of synchronicity.  In cyberspace we wear our ideas
on our sleave... our IDEAS not our faces are our face in cyberspace.
Nooone knows this better then bloggers. Threfore it is inevitable in
this primordial stew of ideas that like ideas... or people with like
ideas like molecules will bump into oneanother.

In other words it matters not wether LisaNova found her way to MadTV
do to your offhand comment ... heh, maybe it caused them to take a
second look at her... or wether it had no effect whatsoever and your
brilliant sub-conscious powers of perception percieved some connection
between what LisaNova was doing on Youtube and what MadTV does.
Indeed there is some cross-polenation there right?  Some parrellel
asthetic or theme.

Anyway, it's always, always, always a beautifull thing.

I will always think of it as "inevitability" myself.

If something was meant to happen it will happen in this space. The
grownd is too fertile for ideas not to grow into tangible realities,
the people and ideas to well connected... the molecules moving to fast
bouncing of one another like pinballs until they finally start
sticking to oneanother  ... and don't get me started on the amount of
mixed metaphors... one of them has to make sense. :)

I truely believe what it all comes down to is a critical mass of
what's called "social capital".

Social capital the foundation of the social economy. It is trust,
visibility, connectivity, mobility, shared history and so many other
things.

If you look at the old chart Maslow's Hierarchy of needs social
capital comes right after the basic necessities.  Food, Shelter,
Water, Cothing... security... then comes the social needs...  it is
only on top of these social needs that the everyday economics we call
the free market system can function.

It's can be as simple as a friend asking you "heh, I need to get the
oil changed on my car you know anyone?"... that they know you and you
might now a mechanic... and that you're connected enough via IM or
phone... or mobile enough to ask the question in person... the whole 6
degrees of seperation thing... the connectivity... means that you can
likely refer them to a good mechanic and they know you well enough
they can trust that this mechanic is a good one.

This is pretty much exactly the sort of thing with you Harold and LisaNova.

It's not unfathomable that a person would get multiple referrals to
the same company, or mechanic or whatever.

-Mike
mefeedia.com
mmeiser.com/blog