Yikes - it's almost the rise of the red scare in here.  We've mainly
been using web video FOR advertising purposes - I guess we're evil
because of it in the eyes of some here.  We say we produce original
content but it's usually sponsored by someone, either directly to
support a product in a direct way like we're doing with
http://www.inkisit.com <http://www.inkisit.com>   or to support it in an
indirect way like we did for Sundance Channel
http://news.animaxent.com/2007/01/animax-on-sundance-channel.html
<http://news.animaxent.com/2007/01/animax-on-sundance-channel.html>  .

Basically either you the viewer pays via subscription, or someone pays
to reach you, or someone else sponsors the content originator to reach
you.  Ultimately there is a net loss from the system if you want to
consider "payment" not just in dollars terms but also in terms of
consumed time.

Michael
http://www.animaxent.com <http://www.animaxent.com>
http://www.arnoldspeaks.com <http://www.arnoldspeaks.com>
http://www.inkisit.com <http://www.inkisit.com>

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Roxanne Darling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

videoblogging@yahoogroups.com<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,
> >  > > "Heath" heathparks@ wrote:
> >  > > >
> >  > > > Sorry I have to disagree with you Ads placed around the video
I think
> >  > > > is more distracting than a preroll or post roll....why would
I watch
> [...]
go
> >  > through:
> >  > >
> >  > > There are quite a few reasons why advertisements need to be
_inside_
> >  > > videos. This assumes, as Chris pointed out, that the content
creator
> >  > > desires to make money with his/her video. This is the same
> >  > > conversation as "how do we make sure that people see (and/or
respect)
> >  > > our CC licenses?".
> >  > >
> >  > > If the advertisement isn't inside the video, then, as you
mentioned,
> >  > > as soon as the video is watched out of context, the ad's no
longer on
> >  > > it. The purpose is defeated, because there is ZERO chance that
> >  > > someone will click on an ad they never see. As far as
> >  > > that run alongside or above or below a video, that assumes that
> >  > > someone's willing to accept this visual intrusion while they're
trying
> >  > > to watch the video. Personally, if there's more stuff moving,
that
> >  > > wrecks my immersion in the piece. I'm actually less likely to
watch a
> >  > > video with ads constantly changing somewhere near it on the
page than
> >  > > I am likely to watch a video where I know there's going to be a
pre,
> >  > > post or midroll ad.
> >  > >
> >  > > The important questions are how to make the ads relevant to the
> >  > > content, and as you brought up, the MOOD of the video, and how
to make
> >  > > the ads a seamless part of the video to the point that they're
not
> >  > > seen as an annoyance.
> >  > >
> >  > > Originally, I had ads running on my videos, but having looked
at the
> >  > > stats, it wasn't likely that someone was going to click on the
> >  > > anyway. They were eyesores, and way more trouble than they were
> >  > > worth. It would be different if I were making viral videos and
> >  > > rolling the dice, hoping that hundreds of thousands of people
would
> >  > > watch the video, and I might get some clicks because of the
numbers
> >  > > game. As it stands, I don't have enough traffic to justify
having
> >  > > random, irrelevant, horrible-looking ads at the ends of my
videos, so
> >  > > they're gone.
> >  > >
> >  > > The key to all of this is having the ability to create your own
> >  > > and change them as your sponsors change. There's interesting
stuff
> >  > > going on with this right now with "Wreck & Salvage",
Galacticast and
http://lucidmedia.cirne.com/index.php/2007/03/02/the-case-against-
> >  > > > advertising-in-net-video/
> >  > > > >
> >  > > > > Blog text follows:
> >  > > > > ==================
> >  > > > > Recently methods of advertising in video have become active
in
> >  > > > > development and implementation. Originally when I heard the
> > rational
> >  > > > > for Ads in net videos from Revver, I thought it worthwhile.
Provide
> >  > > > a
> >  > > > > method for people making video on the net to gain revenue
from
> > their
> >  > > > > work. This would support net videomakers continuing their
work.
> >  > > > There
> >  > > > > had been entries on the yahoo videoblogging group and on
blogs for
> >  > > > > targeted to the audience and content of the video. Similar
> > Google
> >  > > > > showing Ads that try to relate to keyword searches; an Ad
for
> > Harley
> >  > > > > motorcycles could appear on a videoblog entry about a
weekend
> >  > > > > motorcycle hog excursion with friends.
> >  > > > >
> >  > > > > Unfortunately, specifying include an Ad in my video on
Revver,
> >  > > > blip.tv
> >  > > > > and others means you can have a powerful, emotive video on
the
> >  > > > > relationship to one's father followed by a upbeat
commercial for
> >  > > > Juicy
> >  > > > > Fruit gum. Or a irreverent video of doing a prank on
someone
> >  > > > followed
> >  > > > > by a commercial for the Heart Association. Now this problem
> > probably
> >  > > > > just relates to the technicality of specifying categories
for the
> >  > > > Ad's
> >  > > > > relationships to video content and the amount of different
> >  > > > > available. With time the correlation of Ads to video
content and
> > the
> >  > > > > viewership should have stronger matching.
> >  > > > >
> >  > > > > The question is why have Ads in videos on distributed
networks.
> >  > > > > Traditionally, on a television set broadcast a
advertisement had to
> >  > > > > exist within the video stream. No other location was
provided for
> >  > > > > placement. However on the internet an Ad does not need to
be in the
> >  > > > > video. It can be anywhere around the video on the web page.
Either
> >  > > > > top, left, right, bottom or lower down the page. Now video
on the
> >  > > > net
> >  > > > > does not mean just a web page. It can be an iPod, mobile
phone,
> >  > > > Tivo,
> >  > > > > or even projected in a theatre film festival. All of these
non-
> >  > > > website
> >  > > > > screens can and probably will develop methods of displaying
more
> >  > > > than
> >  > > > > just a video stream. A future iPod, mobile phone, digital
TV and