I saw an interesting intro to stop-motion principles, kit and
software by an Aussie guy on YouTube called Blunty3000 who won a
competition there for stop motion.  He uses lego.  Quite cool.  He's
put a whole bunch of stuff up there, but this is his Stop Motion 101:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xib6c7UgKbI

Rupert
http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
http://www.crowdabout.us/fatgirlinohio/myshow/