I dont think the PC is dying either. Its not impossible that Windows
could die one day in the future, but as you pointed out, the Mac is
mostly PC hardware these days. The ever changing set of standards for
different bits that make up PC hardware, and make it 'PC compatible'
is not going anywhere from what I can see.

Here in the UK Apple had hardly any presence or market share or even
brand awareness, until the last few years (eg they opened the second
UK apple store just under 2 years ago). Until I got into VJing I didnt
know anybody at all with a Mac. Now I have 3 Macs, and one reason for
this is that I love how quiet they are. I love my macbook because it
has no fans on the base, but then again maybe Apple products dont
always live as long as PCs because Apple have different thermal
standards maybe? Just speculation, My oldest Mac is not 2 years old
yet and Ive been blessed with no failures so far, but they will
certainly be harder to salvage when something goes wrong than the
average PC.

So anyways Im interested in Ruperts opinions of the Windows Media
Center thang, why he thinks it is right. I havent tried it much but I
was under the impression it was mostly compatible with wmv,a nd
whatever microsofts format is for recording digital tv. So I assumed
media of other formats has to be converted to be watched, which is an
instant turnoff for me. Have I got this detail all wrong?

I dont think a comparison between a computer with windows media center
on it, and Apple TV, is comparing like for like. The equivalent Apple
thing would be a full mac computer (eg mac mini) with front-row on it,
and the Apple TV is more like what Microsoft promote as 'windows media
center extenders'. These are devices such as the Xbox360 that are
connected to the TV and can play media that is stored on the Windows
Media Center computer, via network. Although I think they need to
stream it live, wheras the Apple TV has a hard drive?

Still at the end of the day personally it comes back to how loud the
hardware is, and what formats it can support. As I got on quite well
with eyeTV for recording, id probably get a mac mini, use eye-tv,
itunes & frontrow on it, and then use VLC to support more formats.
Granted this is still too fiddley as only frontrow really has the
right UI designed for distance TV use, but even if I went for a PC
solution I think Id end up looking for 3rd party stuff I guess, to
deal with format issues. Remote control is another issue, I think I
prefer Apples simplistic approach, although it has limitations. Been
experimenting with getting Wii remote to work with computers, seems
more stable & flexible on PC than Mac at the moment unfortunately, but
really enhances the possibilities of what interaction if feasible from
a distance with a remote, great stuff, and makes a full-blown computer
with net surfing etc as well as media playback, an attractive thing to
connect to a tv. Its a shame the Wii itself doesnt handle a wider
range of media and have some nice storage options, as its dead quiet,
probably doesnt use too much power, is small and the remote rocks. The
web browser for it is interesting and the news/weather aggregators are
very nice ways to interact with & watch data from a distance. Youtube
works on it (flash 7 in browser) but thats about the only commonly
used vlog format I think I can watch on the Wii.

Cheers

Steve Elbows