Oops sorry about the typos in that message, I meant projector and HDMI.

Oooh I wasnt at all interested in an Apple TV for myself due to not
wanting to have to reencode other formats before being able to watch
them, but the wikipedia entry for Apple TV has this line...

"Shortly after Apple TV was in the hands of users, various Apple news
sites reported that hacking the device to play the Xvid video format
is possible by removing the hard drive, installing it into a Mac and
installing the proper software and drivers. "

And the spec of the hardware has been worked out now, its a bit more
like a full computer than I realised:

# Intel Pentium-M "Crofton" Processor[1] (based on Pentium-M "Dothan")

    * 1.0 GHz
    * 2 MiB of L2 cache
    * 350 MHz underclocked system bus

# NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 (64 MB VRAM)
# 256 MB of 400 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
# 40 GB hard disk
# USB 2.0 (for diagnostic use only)

Time will tell how hackable it is, maybe not so much but the xvid
thing sounds like a promising start.

Anyway sorry for sounding harsh about Windows Media Center again, its
not that bad, I just dont think you can compare like for like. The
Apple TV is more like a media center extender than a full PC windows
media center, and this is reflected in the price.

Seems like it uses a 48Watt power supply, which isnt awful although
when I monitored the G5 2Ghz iMac 20" it was using about 78Watts when
just doing some casual websurfing,, and that includes the backlight
for the screen. We'll find out what disgusting wattage my fairly
modest 26" LCD TV uses during vlog week if I get my finger out.

Hmm maybe I will shutup and go and try Vista's Media Center for format
compatibility like I said I was gonna the other week.

Also dunno if you remember that PC-inside-a-LCD-TV that I linked to
the other week, but I saw a recent Mac rumor that suggested the next
iMac may have a TV tuner & other features, so maybe that will be
equivalent and a farier comparison to a Windows Mdia Center if its true.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Be careful because there are a lot of projects that dont have DMI or
> component inputs, depends how old they are and whether they were
> designed for home cinema or business presentation projection.
>
> The wii controller thing is going fine, just need a cheap USB
> bluetooth dongle and a few bits of software. Using it as a pointer
> requires th sensor bar thogh so you'll have to mock up an alternative
> to the nintendo bar if you avent got a wii but only the remote.
>
> What cost did the Windos Media Center run to? Boot time? Noise? Did it
> play other formats?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Rupert <rupert@> wrote:
> >
> > Weird that.  You'd think they'd be wanting to sell the home cinema
> > dream.
> > It will work fine.  It has a component video out and standard RCA
> > audio outputs as well as HDMI, if you have compatibility for that on
> > your projector.
> >
> > I got my brother in law kitted up with a Windows Media Center this
> > weekend - he only has a projector, no TV, and it was super easy.
Ran