I've been stalked online, and it sucks. A couple of times, people who
have verbally assaulted me online have gone out of their way to track
me down at conferences just to confront me in person. They weren't
even registered - they just came to confront me. These have been some
of the rare occasions in my life I'd wished I were armed.

Meanwhile, someone didn't like something geopolitical I wrote online
years ago, and began sending me hate mail. Others had done the same
but had never been persistent. I tried reasoning with him and it got
nowhere, so I started ignoring him. And then he started hacking. He
defaced my website and broke into my Yahoo account, taunting me on how
he could use it to ruin me. He'd then give me my account back, go
away, and do it again. Meanwhile, Yahoo was totally unresponsive to my
pleas and wouldn't let me change the details of certain security
features that were locked down, allowing the guy to keep breaking in.
And then one day the guy got bored, said he'd leave me alone and never
bothered me again. It was scary as hell.

ac