Jim, Taken out of context, the words, "I wasn't there to shoot that."
sound far different than the reality meant by the statement. When I
state, "I wasn't there," I don't mean that wasn't my mission or chosen
task, but that I literally wasn't there to shoot it. Would a different
journalist have stopped filming the one cop who was choking the Gabe
Meyers and investigated what was happening with the other? Probably.
Should I have, maybe, but the fact of the matter was that I didn't know
what was going on and felt that what I was filming was newsworthy and
there was no reason to walk away and turn off the camera.

I learned that officer Shields had been injured when a woman came
running towards the cop yelling "officer down," shortly thereafter I
tried to venture over there but my attempts to get over there were
rebuffed by the police and it did not seem like a particularly good time
to assert my press rights.

The hypothetical question that followed was an equally problematic one,
and the fact of the matter is that, "I don't know," was not an attempt
to dodge the question but rather my first response and an honest one.
Had Keven provided some more breathing room in the interview, "it
depends on what I'm filming at the time and if I fully realize what's
going on." would have followed.

Josh