Long live blip.tv.  I agree, their strategy of offering the flv
with that single link, we videobloggers have a whole host of other fun
things we can do with our content.

(This has been an unpaid and sincerely honest endorsement.)

Best,
Carter Harkins
http://CrowdAbout.us

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], sull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think its in part because they want to assure all videos on their
site are
> flash in order to avoid playback issues with users... and also it
provides
> them with some deeper viewing stats as well.
>
> They are using on2 flix <http://on2.com/technology/flix-features/>
> They are using their bandwidth.
> Both cost money.
> However....
> The transcoding software is just good tool to have under the hood for a
> startup in the video space.
> So not a waste of money there.
> The bandwidth could also be insignificant until they become "BIG".
>
> I think it comes back to stats and "it just works" perspective.
> Keep in mind, few services openly offer flv format like blip does.
> If more did so, then we would probably see less rehosting of the flash
> format.
>
> Sull
>
> On 4/14/07, David Meade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   They seem to be giving attribution and providing direct download
links
> > to the original file ... downloads will hit blip for stats and links
> > will hit feedburner and what not ... but the transcoding still bugs
> > me. I wonder why these sites are so determined to eat up their own
> > hosting/bandwidth space when they needn't?
> >
> > They seem to have come close at this site and say on their
"publishers"
> > page:
> >
> > "Protecting Your Stuff We are creative types ourselves and understand
> > that hollow and angry feeling when someone hijacks your stuff. So we
> > provide very visible attribution of your content, which we copy
> > completely intact with all beauty you intended. And if you don't want
> > your videos on Pyro.TV, we promise to take it down right away"
> >
> > Sounds like they may be the sort who will be willing to go that last
> > mile and stop the "copy" portion of their plan and just use the
> > content we're already distributing in the feed.
> >
> > ... here's hoping. :-)
> >
> > - Dave
> >

> > On 4/14/07, ryanne hodson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]<ryanne.hodson%40gmail.com>>