This news has been around a while now but I only just noticed. The
Xbox site buried the announcement in a document that mostly focussed
on Instant Messaging, but anyway the next update to XBox360 in early
May will include:

"# Added H.264 video support: Up to 10 Mbps peak, Baseline, Main, and
High profiles with 2 channel AAC LC.
# Added MPEG-4 Part 2 video support: Up to 5 Mbps peak, Simple Profile
with 2 channel AAC LC."

Hoorah, all my recent waffle with Rupert about this stuff & Windows
Media Center is out of date, and it looks like I was wrong about how
much microsoft would resist mp4 & h264. They are probably also showing
off because the XBox360 has plenty of power so it can handle high-spec
stuff. But it uses quite a lot of electrical power so Im not too keen
to promote it a the best solution, and its a tad loud. Very good
picture quality in HD modes when playing HD-DVD's so I expect the
mpeg4 & h264 support to be equally good, I would guess its probably
the same decoder thats already used if you have the HD-DVD addon for
the 360, as both HD DVD and Blueray use h264.

Anyway I dunno if the update will be available for UK Xboxers at the
same time as the US, but when I get it I will report as to whether
ipod & apple tv formatted vlogs play back on it ok, Id certainly
hope/expect so.

Cheers

Steve Elbows