I have a Canon mini DVD camcorder which takes a mini DV tape.  The
connection to the computer is on the side of the camera and I could
see after I started working with it that there was a real danger in it
becoming loose.

Thanks to my dog, who bumped the camera, it did.  Now the computer
won't read the camera and though the CAMERA works fine, I can't
transfer tapes to my computer without finding a camera to borrow.  I
can send the camera it for repairs, but I can see that there is a
great danger of this happening again and I'm wondering if it's worth
paying for repairs.  I can't afford a new camera, but I'm wondering if
there exists such a thing as a tape reader, like we have card readers
for digital cameras, which could just be plugged into the computer
permanently and eliminate the need for having the camera near the
computer at all.

A search on the internet yielded only mini DVD players, which I can't
use, or it yielded something that was in the >$1,000 range.  I was
hoping for something significantly more affordable.

Any ideas?

If it's possible to e-mail me privately ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) I would
really appreciate it, since I am going out of town for the next two
days and any response might get buried in the deluge that is this
group!

Thanks so much for your help.

--
Bev Sykes