Steve, apologies for late reply and many thanks for the advice.

I use a PAL Mini-DV camcorder. PAL framerate is 25 and I don't mess
with it. I leave the picture dimensions the same as the source, too,
which I think is 720x576.

I can deinterlace when exporting from Adobe Premiere Elements and the
buzzy lines are gone when I open the resulting AVI in QuickTime - but
the motion looks choppy to me. Final file exported from QT looks OK
but as I said choppy motion.

If I don't deinterlace on export from APE, the video still looks fine
in Windows Media Player, but when I open it in QuickTime the
interlacing problems are there. Even if I apply QT's own deinterlacing
filter the problem persists. Problem persists when final file is
exported from QT.

Right now I'm exporting a non-deinterlaced AVI from APE and forcing
the dimensions to 640x480, with square pixels. I'll see how that looks
in QT ... tomorrow morning.

Waz