Steve wrote:

> I think Waz might be on Windows, based on what patht he discussions
> about alternative encoders went. I think the reason for loading
avi's into quicktime is because in this instance quicktime is being
used as an encoder, to turn the avi's into
> mp4's.

You're spot on, mate - and as you went on to say, I could potentially
do this from Premiere Elements, but it does not allow sufficient
control over parameters. Basically the only useful output I can get
from Prem Elements is an AVI.

I then open that AVI in QuickTime to put out MP4 and .mov files. I
also output a WMV file based on that AVI using Windows Movie Maker -
which, I'm ashamed to say, always does a superb job and the result
pretty much matches H.264 for good looks.

Steve, you _can_ deinterlace in QuickTime by getting into movie
properties -> visual settings and ticking the deinterlace box. Also
ticking the "high quality" box seems to do something. However neither
of these measures removed the jagged lines completely for me - the
best result was achieved by deinterlacing when exporting the initial
AVI from Prem Elements.

This interlacing problem is weird - it has also started happening when
I use a little piece of freeware called SplitCam to turn the mini-DV
camera into a webcam for Skype purposes. It never used to do this
before. Last night I reset the camera to factory defaults so will see
what happens next time we shoot an episode.

Waz