Its not so much that they have jurisdiction over the web, (lthough
they use that phrase themselves) so much as there are probably now
enough people working in new media that they've decided to focus some
attention on that area.

See this press release:

http://www.aftra.com/press/pr_2007_04_16_new_media_wrkgrp.html

This sort of stuff is pretty much a non-issue if you are an individual
vlogging, or do not employ people. But if you start to resemble a
traditional employer of actors etc, you are going to run into a
minefield that people in the traditional media, holywood, etc, will
have many decades of experience with.

I dont know enough about this stuff to talk further on it, but whilst
I support the concept of labour organising, and ensuring there isnt
mass explotation by unscrupulous employers, some aspects of this stuff
is likely to resemble some of the worst aspects of the guilds that had
so much power in Europe hundreds of years ago.

These guilds and unions probably wont have much trouble adapting to
commercial new media, but some of the ideas of blogging & vlogging in
the broader non-commercial sense, eg, shock-horror, non-union amateurs
'taking the pros jobs', might lead to considerable battles in the future.

Its one of the funny contradictions about the USA from where Im
sitting, the seemingly all-pervasive free-market ideology, has some
exceptions when it comes to certain strong guilds with power.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Kownacki"