Long time lurker, first time poster. Terrific group.

I'm preparing to do interviews and I want to make sure I have a system
that works. I'll be both interviewer and neurotic cameraperson. I'm
using a Canon Optura 50 ($500 consumer model with both ext. mic and
headphone jacks). My first thought was to get a stereo-to-mono
Y-connector (one 3.5mm stereo male into two 3.5mm mono females). I'll
put a handheld or lav mic on the interviewee and a lav mic on myself
(has anyone ever turned their cold-shoe ext. shotgun mic around and
aimed it at their face? seems to work). In post-production I would
bump up the sound level on the weaker of the two channels.

I'm editing in iMovie. While it offers multiple audio tracks, it does
not appear to separate left and right channels within the same track.
I can export to garageband and it separates L and R channels. Then it
seems to be just a matter of balancing L and R channel volumes through
panning.

I've tested this, seems to work, but I don't feel like I have a lot of
audio control even with garageband (but I'm new to garageband). Have I
thought this through correctly? Suggestions?

Jim Joseph
ihatetodance.com
skippyblair.blogspot.com (Skippy is a dance educator, guess I'm her
vlogmaster)