Final Cut Express is really very good and a good place to start. You
might want to check to see if Apple is still offering the deal where
you get FCE for $100 when you buy a new Macbook or Macbook Pro.
Thats a really good deal--that is ... if they are still offering it.

The biggest difference between the MacBook and the MBP is the
graphics card which is usefull when doing stuff in programs like
Motion where a lot of the video rendering is done by the graphics
card. If you aren't doing a lot of work that requires Apple Core
image processing then a Macbook with FCE will do you just fine.
Apple says that Finalcut Studio isn't compatible with the Macbook
but thats mainly because Motion won't run on it. Most of the other
programs in the package will run just fine on the Macbook.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
http://lofistl.com
http://billstreeter.net

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Leggett"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Moncur" <lauramoncur@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I am switching from my PC to Mac and I'm trying to decide if the
new
> > MacBook Pros with the NVidia video chips are worth an extra
$1000.
> > Have any of you noticed a big difference between the MacBook
Pros and
> > the normal MacBooks?
>
> The MacBook uses VRAM that is shared with the system's memory, so I
> would consider maxing the RAM on the MacBook. Otherwise, the Pro
has a
> FW800 connector, DVI output, a bigger screen, etc. Either computer
is
> a winner.
>

> > It takes forever to render a DVD on my PC using Adobe Premiere
> > Elements and I'm hoping to streamline the process.
>
> Rendering time depends on different things, the processor speed
being
> one of the important ones. Any new computer with a Core 2 Duo chip
> will speed up the process.
>

> > Additionally, is Final Cut Pro worth the extra $600 or should I
just
> > go with Final Cut Express or even iMovie/iDVD? I am having a
hard time
> > justifying the expense to my husband. Can you give me any
ammunition?

> Start with iMovie and see if it meets your needs. It worked great
for
> me until I wanted to layer video tracks, so I bought FC Express.
For