I'm on a roll, today.

I'd like to suggest that more of us should try to be open about how
many views we get.  I mean, not *all* of us, obviously.  There are
those of us who won't want to say for commercial or other reasons.

But I keep hearing people worrying about how few views they're
getting.  And I'm sure that part of their worry is that other people
are getting far more.  And I'm not sure that that's true.  I'd bet
any money that 99% of the people on this list get two figure views
for all their videos combined per day.  And I'd bet the majority get
single figure views per day.

This is important in the discussion of monetizing videoblogging, too,
perhaps.

I think Youtube has distorted expectations - by its nature, it
attracts clusters of people to feast on certain featured & popular
videos in a way that's quite different to what a lot of us are
doing.  And as Mark Day said last week, even on Youtube the really
big view numbers are rare.

Personally, I don't think that getting just a few people per day or
per week is bad at all.  Your films are still being seen by more
people than they would if you were taking them to a local film night,
or showing them in a local gallery, which was the only forum for them
before the web.

And you're actually connecting with the people who are watching them,
in a way that wouldn't happen otherwise.  And probably in a more
profound way than you would if you had 1000 people all wanting to
talk to you.

You don't have to join in this game - it's not Truth or Dare! - but
to get the ball rolling, here are my own stats.

They're a bit weird compared to most, probably, because I only
started Twittervlog 3 months ago, I've made 89 videos in that time
and I pimp it all the time on Twitter - that must be where I get most
of my views.

I feel it's been successful on a personal level - I've met all sorts
of great people and it's been a lot of fun.  But featured status on
Youtube - or even on Blip - it ain't.

I have posted 89 films.  With 14,000 views in total.  That's an
average of 150 per film.  I figure - what? - half of those have
actually watched the video to the end?

25 videos ( a third of them) have less than 100 views in total

another 57 videos (almost two thirds) have between 100 and 250

and only 7 have more than 250 - all of these have been featured
somewhere, like The End of Pixelodeon, or the Vlog Deathmatch video.

The Vlog Deathmatch video is the most popular, and has topped out at
765 views.  Which is a fraction of what Irina and The Burg's total
votes were, I'm sure!  At the end of the Deathmatch, I think it'd had
350 or so views.

The only Youtube context I can give to this is the Flashmob video,
which has had 13,000 views on Youtube, and 746 on my site.

Oh, and I now have around 50 or so subscribers (Feedburner number).

I don't know - maybe I'm wrong and you're all getting thousands and
thousands of views for every film you make... but my heart tells me
that's not so... and if it isn't, do we average non-commercial
videobloggers need to readjust our expectations?

Is getting 100 views on a video after it's been out there for a few
months really so bad?  Imagine those 100 people in your local bar or
in your house!  That's quite a lot of people.  And then add all your
videos together.  You've made 50?  And they average 100 views in the
end?  That's 5000 in total!  And 5000 was a big number for Jesus... :)

I remember a time when we complained about people's Feedcounters, and
the pressure of popularity that comes with people talking about
statistics.  I hate that.  But on the other hand, it's terrible if
everybody thinks that they can't say how many viewers they have
because they'd be perceived as unpopular and unsuccessful.

I'd be really interested on your thoughts about this.

Rupert

http://twittervlog.tv/
http://feeds.feedburner.com/twittervlog/