The good news is, I don't think this is a problem with Premiere ....  The
bad news is, I think its a problem with your codecs.

That canon camera (the same one I use) stores its AVIs in MJPEG format.  It
sounds like one of your installs/updates changed (or perhaps even removed)
the MJPEG video codec from your system.

If you fix that, the rest will fall into place (I think).

Do you have QuickTime Player installed?  Will the clips play in QuickTime
Player? (Right click your clip and use "open with" to try and open them in
Quicktime Player.)    I believe QT uses an apple codec for these other than
the one Windows probablly was using.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think windows uses the cinepak codecs for MJPEG
AVIs by default.  This comes with DirectX I believe ... you might try
updating/reinstalling directX and see if that fixes it.  You can also run
dxdiag (from the start-> run) to see if Windows can find any problems with
your DirectX install (look especially on the "DirectX Files" Tab).

Alternatively, I found a place where you can download a free MJPG codec
which might work (I haven't tested with this codec myself):
*http://tinyurl.com/39em64*

You can use the below steps, btw, to find out what video codecs you have on
your system (Although they aren't always named in such a way that you can
tell which one handles what).

# Go to the START MENU
# Select CONTROL PANEL
# Select SOUNDS AUDIO DEVICES
   ...  (I know its strange, but this is actually where you'll find the
video codecs =P)
# Select the Hardware Tab
# Hightlight Video Codecs
# Hit properties