--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Taylor"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the interview, Arin nails it when he says that it's about creating a
> community around the film.
>
> What we're planning to do at Kinooga – funding film projects of all
shapes
> and sizes by allowing individuals to basically 'buy a ticket' to a film
> project before it's made – is to tie a film's ability to break even
to any
> filmmaker's (videobloggers included) ability to create that
community before
> production begins. This allows the filmmaker to concentrate purely
on craft
> during production and post-production and placing the marketing and
> distribution conversations post-post-production.

Yes... It's very tricky, balancing creativity and earning in the
online world.

Essentially, time is money.  If you're not working on one person's
project, you could be working on another person's project or spending
that time enjoying yourself.  In television, it's very simple.  The
stations sell advertising which gives them money to afford to hire
production companies to make shows which can afford to hire on-air
talent, shooters, editors and whatever else they need.  The money
comes down the line from the advertisers.  Publicity is handled by the
station, as they take commercial space they could have sold to someone
and use that 30 seconds to let you know what's coming on in the
future.  Deals are made from the strength of the producers or the
on-air talent.  This is why Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise or Samuel Jackson
get $20,000,000 per film, because with their names attached to a
project, the production companies are guaranteed to make their money
back.  Without the stars' names, they would spend a lot less, but they
would MAKE a lot less.

Online, people want you to do everything BEFORE giving you any money
to do it. :D  YOU create the concept.  YOU create the buzz.  YOU
shoot, edit, compress, upload and distribute the show.  YOU publicize
the show.  YOU make & host the social site(s)...... and then...
maaaaaaaybe somebody will give you some dollars for what you're
already doing.

That's fine if your content is mainstream, or has widespread appeal.
But, what if your show's just plain WEIRD? :D  What if your content's
so off-the-wall that people go WTF??? when they see it?  How are you
supposed to get THAT funded?  Regardless of how talented you might be,
advertisers want to know that they can get some sort of ROI on the
money they're giving you.  They also want to *NOT* be associated with
"weird stuff".  This is why Rawlings, Nike and Upper Deck are
reportedly pulling out of their endorsement deals with Michael Vick.
Regardless of how talented he is, investors don't want to be
associated with him or look like they approve of his actions.

This is why I think you have a good idea with Kinooga, allowing people
who CHOOSE to fund certain videos or films to give money towards that
project.  The more people fund a project, the less time the filmmakers
have to spend waiting tables or whatever they do to get money and the
more time they can spend on making their show better or putting it out
faster.

Good Luck! :D

--
Bill