--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Jan McLaughlin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Don't do altogether that much audio post work, but I think you're pretty
> much stuck with already-recorded echo.

Yes.  There's nothing you can do about it in post.  This is why people
aren't supposed to say "ONE" when they're counting down to on-air
talent speaking.  It's "Three", "Two", "....", then the talent talks.
 This is because the echo from the verbal "One" will still be audible
until after the talent starts speaking, and then there's nothing you
can do about it.

Echo isn't like refrigerator hum.  It doesn't exist in a continuous
fashion that you can filter out.  It's a replication of the actual
dialogue, so to cut out echo, you have to cut out dialogue as well.

> The trick with audio is to get it right the first time.
>
> Recording audio without echo is not easy. One must basically treat
the space
> with carpets, furniture pads and/or acoustic foam. The other
alternative is

+1.  Recording studios pad the walls in this fashion.  I've even seen
egg cartons used.  They have "professional" padding you could probably
buy from an online music store.

It's all about prevention, not removal.

--
Bill Cammack
http://reelsolid.tv

> to use a less-sensitive, large-diaphram dynamic microphone, like a Shure
> SM58. The echo sounds aren't powerful enough to move the mic's
diaphragm and
> so do not get recorded.
>
> Picking your location with an ear toward sound is a good idea.
>
> Why don't you like the echo?
>
> Jan
>
> On 10/8/07, J. Rhett Aultman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hey guys!  You guessed it.  We're back with another production-related
> > question.  We've been learning to use this new condenser boom-mounted
> > mic in our videos and we love the freedom it's offering us, but we're
> > also noticing that it picks up a fairly heavy amount of acoustic echo
> > when our voices bounce off of the walls and floor.  I'm sure people on
> > here have faced this issue before, so would some of you veterans
pass on
> > your wisdom on either removing the acoustic echo or preventing it?
 I've