Interesting post, Kenya.

Blocking exact same copies of videos is of zero value.

Whether you can find one example of a copyrighted song or eight of
them makes no difference whatsoever.

As far as the audio-matching tool, I haven't researched stuff like
this, but I say it's impossible... at least for videos where there's
dialogue or other sounds over the music.  If you look at audio
waveforms, you'll know you can't exactly match The Beatles' "Penny
Lane" with a video where someone used "Penny Lane" as the background
music while they talk over it or show videos with audio running as
well.  The waveforms don't match, so the best YouTube can do is
*GUESS* that "Penny Lane" MIGHT be used in this video.  They'll have
better success for those videos where people just ripped the song
directly and posted it to YouTube with pictures over it or soundless
video or if they took a video directly from a television channel like MTV.

The only way to implement this properly is to add the human component
of having people responsible for physically checking each video that
comes up 'flagged', and then making decisions based on that.  YouTube
isn't going to do that, because they CURRENTLY don't have the human
component in place to check videos labeled exactly what they are, with
the actual musicians playing the music in the videos and uploaded by
someone with some corny screen name.

If they try to bypass this and put it in the hands of the copyright
holders, there's no incentive for them to actually watch or listen to
the videos in question.  They would be able to block videos if they
wanted to on the strength that YouTube GUESSED that their music was
being used in someone's video.

Once again, the whole thing's retarded.  None of this would even be
happening if YouTube hadn't been *BUILT* on blatant piracy from day 1.

--
Bill Cammack
http://billcammack.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Kenya Allmond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Google's new content id tool "YouTube Video Identification" is now
in beta.  It will find and block exact same copies of videos by hash
value.  I don't see it mentioned but they are developing an audio
matching tool as well that finds videos containing music based on
songs in their database.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/latest-content-id-tool-for-youtube.html

> I also found this quote interesting "We provide content owners with
an electronic notification and takedown