DLTQ was a provocative, personal, exploration of the medium of
videoblogging. Congrats on a rich, varied project.

And best of luck on your next project where you will be focusing on
online video and civil society.

For folks who want to get inside Raymond's head, he's the guest on
this week's Par-tay where we'll be talking about how online video will
shape the future of politics.

http://jonnygoldstein.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Raymond M. Kristiansen"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I remember well when I first got into videoblogging, and I joined this
> mailing-list, and I got to know so many people who were doing
interesting
> things with videoblogging. This was in late 2004, and the movement
was still
> relatively small then.
>
> Today, if we can even talk about a "movement" anymore, it has grown much
> bigger. There are thousands of people on this mailing-list, and
sites like
> youtube, blip.tv and others have given the regular people
opportunities for
> mediation that we could only dream about years ago.
>
> Almost from the very beginning, one of my main interests related to
> videoblogging has been "political videoblogging". As in: How does
> videoblogging change politics? Does it change it? If so, how? Who is the
> agent behind this change? How could political _organizations_ use
> videoblogging as a sort of knowledge management? A way to remember
political
> processes and make politics seem less of something just for people
in some
> ivory tower. A way to connect with the people in ways that you
simply cannot
> do through the main-stream media.
>
> In mid 2005, while I was doing some videoblogging experiments within my
> political party in Norway, I was quoted as saying this in a bbc online
> article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4229698.stm):
>
> "Today in Norway, many youth are feeling disillusioned with
politics," says
> Kristiansen. "They feel that politics is all the same. And if I can
> interview people, put them online, it lowers the barrier."
>
> I have since in different ways probed this question. How can
politicians, or
> NGOs, or others, communicate with - for instance - the youths in a
way that
> becomes authentic? Is more authentic than the broadcast model of
putting on
> that suit, the mask, and talking for 30 seconds in an elevator-pitch
about X
> important topic.
>
> On my personal vlog/blog, www.dltq.org, I put out a lot of videos,
most of
> them long and boring, some of them short, some of them innovative in
some
> way, but too many of them just being fluff. Now, fluff is good and
all, but
> sometimes we want to go deeper.
>
> So, last week I decided to end DLTQ, to end this site and to move on. My
> messages to this mailing list the last months has mostly been about
> political videoblogging. What is happening around the world today?
What are
> the best case studies? What can we learn from whatever people are
doing in
> the UK, Italy, USA or India? I received some tips, and I have also been
> exploring the current status quo of political videoblogging
(including the
> various projects involving youtube), but overall I feel that I lack "the
> overview".
>
> There are a few great sites out there, like for instance
> www.personaldemocracy.com - but I often feel that such sites lack a true
> international scope.
>
> So I am currently in the process of preparing for my next site,
which will
> not be personal as such, but a team effort. The domain is not ready
yet, but
> I will give it to you once it is. So far we are two people living in
Denmark
> who have committed ourselves to it, but I am looking for other partners,
> preferably in other countries and continents.
>
> So: Are you interested in the meeting-point of politics and new
media? Are
> you interested in how mediated politics can change how civil society
works
> and develops? Do you want to be part of a small group of bloggers
that will
> deal with these and similar questions? Personally, I think it would
be great
> if we could be 5-6 people from different regions. 5-6 people that could
> together edit a site that could add to the plethora of sites dealing
with
> these issues.
>
> Part of the goal of the site would be to point at best practice from
around
> the world. It would also be to publish our own video once a week with
> updates from whatever is happening, as well as interviewing some
"regular
> people" about issues that matter to them. Something like "Ten
Questions":