I read the article and went to research further on reliability of lavalier
mikes. According to a comment of a customer on B&H site (under one of the
Sennheiser mike's in $599 category), all wireless mikes, even the most
expensive one costing around $3,000 will have drop-outs of signal when used
on the streets of busy cities like NYC and such. So then I thought to
myself, what would be the most reliable approach to capture high quality
audio when it comes to interviewing people on the streets? The idea popped
quickly. Use a Samson Zoom H2 connected to Electrovoice unidirectional mike.
Although H2 itself has multiple condenser mikes inside (even surround
sound), none of them are unidirectional. So with this set up there's more
work in post to sync the H2's audio with on-camera mike, but you get
crystal-clear reliable audio without any RF interference or drop-outs. I
haven't yet tested this work flow but I think this hits home.

--
Sincerely,

Renat Zarbailov of Innomind.org