This is actually a good point.  There's going to come a time where the
dynamic changes, similar to what happened with television.

Television used to be free.  Your buy-in was the television itself and
MAYBE an extra antenna to get better reception.  The television
reception was via "the airwaves".

Now, there's cable television, which people pay for.  Not only the
specialty channels, but the regular broadcast channels as well.  WHY
pay for television?  More channels and perfect reception, instead of
ghosting and fuzz.  "Free for everyone" became "pay for better or
stick to worse".

Now that MSM, as we all knew was going to happen, has jumped on the
bandwagon of video distribution via internet, there's going to have to
be a similar turning point.  There will have to be a split between
"free content with less quality" and "paid content with more
quality"... quality being perhaps encoding bit rate or length of
program, like google video had ages ago.

If you have quality, niche programming, you can get people to
subscribe if you have benefits for their doing so, like in the cases
where you can see the program LIVE on the paid internet site, without
commercial interruption, or wait several days for the same exact
program to come on cable television... WITH added commercials and
cheesy announcers that subtract from your immersion into the program.

Sites like Joost and Hulu can be easily reconfigured to have free and
paid areas, just like even cable television has pay-per-view channels.

--
Bill Cammack
http://BillCammack.com