Secret #1 - No reasonably intelligent person needs this
guy's 'secrets' because they're self evident if you spend a moment
thinking about how you could game the system.  I mean, multiple
accounts, who ever would have come up with that?

Secret #2 - The message in this piece is ultimately depressing and
underpinned by a real nihilism.  People who thoughtlessly follow the
premises embeded in it would gladly feed paper pulp to children as a
profitable replacement for mother's milk.  Don't drink the Kool-aid.

Secret #3 - As more and more companies use these techniques it will
effect the user experience and people will grow bored and tired and
tune out.

Secret #4 - The viral videos of today will turn up as kitsch in the
future just like Soviet era posters do now.

Secret #5 - This guy has no ability to predict the future, that's why
he's taking pay for real bottom feeder work -- hustling comments and
tags on multiple accounts to try and get his client's videos to go
viral.  Horrid work, that.

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cammack"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sinton" <frank@> wrote:
> >
> > I was hesitant to give this guy more attention than he already
has,
> > but thought it would be very relevant to see what is
happening "out
> > there":
> >

> http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/22/the-secret-strategies-behind-
many-viral-videos/

> > Many of us knew that the "Top Viewed Videos" on YouTube was 90%
crap
> > already.... honestly, i wasn't at all surprised - except that
this guy
> > is a TA at Stanford! Is this what our "Nation's Best" are being
taught
> > nowadays?
> >
> > Why doesn't Mefeedia have a Videos tab with "Most Viewed Videos"?
It
> > is not a popularity contest - we want it to be about REAL people
> > having REAL conversations. This reinforces that belief.
> >

> > Regards,
> > -Frank
> >
> > Frank Sinton
> >
> > http://www.mefeedia.com - Discover the Video Web
> >

> Interesting article.
>
> There are lots of people that use youtube as a means as opposed to
an
> end.  They put the videos on strictly for marketing purposes as
> opposed to giving a damn AT ALL about making a good video or
something
> interesting or educational or that they feel good or proud about.
The
> entire goal is "getting clicks back to our site", like the poster
> mentioned.
>
> There's a major difference between the questions "How do I get paid
> FOR putting video on the internet?" and "How do I get paid BY
putting
> video on the internet?"  For a lot of people, the craft & artistry
is
> lost on them completely, and all they know is that this is a medium
> where they could possibly make money.  Those same people will be
> raising pigs when that comes in style. :/  Flying kites for profit.
> Engineering milk-substitutes... ANYTHING they can do to try to make
> dollar.
>
> Gaming the youtube system has been "part of the game" for a long
time,
> already.  They have videos ON youtube about how to GAME
youtube. :D  I