The xacti cameras vary in their ability to shoot in low-light but
generally speaking they are not ideal for this.
You can get good results by changing white balance and iso but it
sounds like you need something that can
more consistently handle low-light well.... so a larger quality lens
should be considered.  The hd1000 does have a larger lens, so if you
want to consider the xacti family, that might be the best choice.  or
one of the models that provides lens adapter.

sull