I suspect you have a codec problem. Just a few thoughts.

1. I'd download a copy of MPEG Sreamclip, import the .avi to .mov to
see if that helps.

2. Or you could bring it into Windows Movie Maker2 and export it out
as DV - avi. Then bring it into QT Pro.

I wouldn't convert anything using Windows Media Player.

Gena