I have been watching the camcorder scene for the past year and a half
again because it was time to free myself from tapes. Eventually I
settled for Sony HDR-SR7, which has a CMOS sensor (not best for dark
situations, you need Sony PD170 for dark shooting :).

Sony just came out with a newer 160GB version, which is SR12, but
squeezed the sensor, despite upping the HD video from 1440X1080i to
1920X1080i. So the SR7th sensor is still better than the SR12th, even
though the hard drive is only 60GB.
The beauty of SR7 is that it shoots in both standard MPEG2 9mbps and
AVCHD 15mbps.

So if you shoot for the web only, I think this is the ideal approach,
since the MPEG2, although not an editing format, is very economical
and you can simply backup the footage to DVD. Although I haven't
burned any MPEG2 footage to a DVD to test I hope it will allow the
footage to be playable in any DVD player without transcoding before
hand. Another neat feature besides being able to delete unwanted video
right in the cam is splitting the video right in the cam. So, say you
have some parts in a clip that you want gone, you can on the go split
and delete parts.

Also it has mini audio port so you can plug practically any mike via
mini to XLR cable.

I am yet to shoot in AVCHD, when the software world wakes up and
smells the flowers. Till this day most of the professional NLE
applications do not support this format. I edit my MPEG2 footage in
Premiere CS3, it doesn't support MPEG2 editing (as I mentioned above
that this format isn't an editing one) so I found a workaround to this
after weeks of research. All Premiere needs is a Dolby file from
Encore CS3 to be imported into the Premiere install directory.
Otherwise the video plays in the timeline but no audio.

For now my rig is a combination of SR7 with extended battery (5
hours?), with semi-fisheye lens Raynox HD-3032PRO (not for all
occasions of course), and all sitting on a Merlin Steadicam you get
pretty nice moving pictures.

I hope the above helps

Renat from MrThyself.com