They refer to tape in the film, I think, because they use the device
of having taped over previously recorded video. That wouldn't happen
with a disc based camera. That being said, some of it was shot with
the panasonic hvx200 but most was shot with the Sony CineAlta F23
which is not a consumer camera.
http://gizmodo.com/347463/the-real-camera-behind-cloverfield

- Verdi

--