Here are your choices:

1) Use a 16:9 sequence and decide what portion of your 4:3 footage
you're going to show, full-screen.
2) Use a 16:9 sequence and use your whole frames of 4:3 footage with
black bars on either side.
3) Use a 4:3 sequence and decide what portion of your 16:9 footage
you're going to show, full screen.
4) Use a 4:3 sequence and use your whole frames of 16:9 footage with
black bars on the top and bottom.

Alternatively, you could do what televisions do and use a 16:9
sequence and stretch your 4:3 footage horizontally to reach the edges
of the frame.  That's what happened when you go into sports bars and
the players look "fat" on the screen.  I don't recommend that AT ALL,
but it *is* an option.

Bill
BillCammack.com