Greetings,

This is the sort of stuff I hoped would happen, and was the basis for my
relatively
complacent position when it comes to this stuff. I maintain that there are
enough powerful
people who want to see the internet remain roughly as it is now, in terms of
people being
able to compete 'fairly', and these should override the interests of a greedy
minority.

meanwhile in the UK the goverment has announced a review of UK broadband in
the, to
see who will be providing the necessary funding to provide extra bandwidth &
even faster
connections to peoples homes. Still the issue gets a bit confused, because
making the
connection to peoples doors faster, is only going to increase bottlenecks
elsewhere in the
network, so they should probably stop salivating over things like fibre-optic
cables
straight to peoples computers & 100MBit connections or whatever, and
concentrate on
there actually being enough capacity elsewherefor people to be able to use
their current
speeds at a sustained rate.

Meanwhile in the UK the Government is also pressurizing ISPs to be responsible
for
preventing piracy, which is a mess of a policy and will create some interesting
battles in
the year ahead.

Cheers

Steve Elbows