This, from Apple's Support page (references FCP specifically, but I
think your issue is related and can be fixed the same way):

***
1. After you have exported the movie from Final Cut Pro, open it in
QuickTime Player.
If the movie is displayed in QuickTime Player at 4:3 or 3:2 (not
widescreen), continue with the steps below.
2. Choose Window > Show Movie Properties.
3. In the Properties window, click Video Track in the Name column.
4. Click the Visual Settings button.
5. Deselect the checkbox for Preserve Aspect Ratio.
6. Change the Scaled Size:
For NTSC, enter 853 x 480.
Now the movie should be displayed at a 16:9 aspect ratio.
***

--
Kris Boustedt | First Sight Productions
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | 206.354.5031

Check out "Couples Therapy", our web-comedy of
marital proportions. New episodes every Tuesday!
http://www.couplestherapyonline.com